So, you’ve gone through your photos and picked out what you want to use for your Christmas card. Yay! Now, it’s time to find just the right card.
Finding the perfect holiday card might seem overwhelming because there are so many options out there, but I’m here to help make your decision a little easier.
Let’s get started!
- Look for card designs that have similar colors to your photo.
- If you fall in love with a design that your photo clashes with, try changing your photo to black and white! You can easily do this right in our builder by clicking on ‘edit photo’ and selecting ‘b&w.’ (FYI, you can rotate your photo in there, too.)
- If your photo is too dark or needs editing, check out our photo editing tips to fix your photo using free software.
- If you find a card design that would work perfectly if only your photo were flipped, you can do that with free editing software, too!
So, you’ve settled on a single, perfect photo (and maybe “perfect” just means it’s the one photo where no one blinked, so gosh darnit, it’s your holiday photo!). Here are some tips for finding the right single-photo card:
- If you want your photo to cover the whole card, an overlay design is what you’re looking for. If your photo is on the darker side, look for a card that has light/white text overlaying the photo. Or, if your photo has more light areas, look for a card with a dark/black text.
- Are you open to a more artistic look? Try an overlay design that goes over the middle of your photo. (You’ll need to be OK with the possibility of the design going over faces though.)
- If you don’t want to cover up any part of your photo, there are lots of designs were the art and photo stay separate.
See all cards for 1 photo.
Can’t choose just one picture? That’s OK—there are lots of designs to show off multiple photos! Here are some things to consider as you look for the perfect card:
- Do you have one main photo that you’d like to be the focus, but still want other photos to get in on the action, too? Look for designs that have one large photo bin and a few smaller ones.
- If you have a handful of photos, and don’t need just one to be the focus, look for a design that has several photo bins of similar size.
If you can’t decide on one photo, or even just a handful, don’t worry—there are still plenty of designs to show off lots of photos at once. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Try organizing your photos from the beginning to the end of the year. Even if a design doesn’t literally say “year in review” (although we DO have those, too), you can still find one that shows off how a child has changed throughout the year, or even just all the fun you’ve had in the past twelve months!
- If you’re using photos from various times of the year, you might have lots of different colors, as well as both lights and darks. Try finding a card with a neutral color to best compliment your variety of photos. (Our chalkboard designs seem to make any photo look good!)
- If your photos are all from one photo session (or day), try looking for a card that has similar colors in the design.
See all cards for 4+ photos.
All of your best photos living on your phone? I have tips for that, too!
- Just like my first tip for 4+ photos, try finding a design that shows off a whole year in photos!
- Look for cards with a square photo bin—they’re perfect for any picture from Instagram (or your phone’s library)!
- If you find a card design, but want some tips on how to incorporate your photos, check out my post on how to make an awesome holiday card from your phone pics.
See all mobile-picture friendly cards here.
I hope these tips help you find the absolute best card to show off those photos this year!
If you have any other questions, leave a comment and I’ll do my best to help out.
Want another way to show off your photos? Share your favorite “real life” photo moment in our Candid Chrismas Cards Contest for your chance to win $1,500!